Tuesday 30 August 2011

Kudos to the rickshaw wallas of Bombay!


Well, I have been staying in Bombay for over two years now. Every single morning, I plead and fight with the ubiquitous, larger than (my) life, Bombay’s demigods – its rickshaw wallas. Knowingly or unknowingly, they have taught me some of the quintessential truths of life! So, this one is for you, bhaiya!

Here are some key things which I have learnt from my experiences with you:

  1. Money can’t buy me everything - Even if I am ready to pay you double or thrice of what your meter reads, you still refuse to drop me from Jogeshwari to Andheri! While money makes most of us do evil things, you certainly are satisfied with your share. Bravo!
  2. Going that extra mile may help – A couple of times when I have walked past your other waiting customers, taking that extra mile (in the most literal sense) has helped me in attracting your attention towards me. You have considered me over others.  
  3. Situations are bad, human beings aren’t – When I get late for the office and you don’t even look at me, I have to admit that at that very moment, I hate you from the core of my heart. But, once I get inside your rick and you tell me about the pathetic situation of traffic, I do realize that the traffic situation makes you a villain. You are inherently not bad.
  4. Good things will happen if I won’t give up – You reaffirm my age old belief in the virtue of hard work.  More often than not, if I keep looking for you and your peers in all possible directions on the road, I end up finding one of you. So, I will remember not to give up ever in life.
Finally, after brooding/yelling/fighting, the moment I hop inside a rickshaw I forget all the hardships. I also don’t think about the next day’s ordeal of finding one. I become happy and relaxed. I bask in the glory of finding you, under your roof. So, you teach me the most important lesson of  life – to live in the moment.

Thank you for being so kind and ever so humble!


2 comments:

  1. Brilliantly written!! Quite naturally paints the true picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its tough na...andheri jogeshwari is even worse na :(

    ReplyDelete